October 27th is American Beer Day! Time to head to your favorite local spot, and grab a beer brewed in America!
Here in NC, we are lucky. As of 2021, there are more than 340 active breweries. You could spend almost an entire year, visiting one each day!
Here are some fast facts about American beer!
- The oldest brewery in America is D.G. Yuengling & Son, established in 1829 in Pottsville, PA. By sales volume, in 2018, it was the largest craft, largest American-owned and sixth largest overall brewery.
- Coors introduced the first all-aluminum, seamless beer can in 1959.
- In 1977, Billy Carter, President Jimmy Carter’s younger brother, released Billy Beer. It was actually brewed by 4 different breweries, but each can read:
‘Brewed expressly for and with the personal approval of one of AMERICA’s all-time Great Beer Drinkers – Billy Carter. I had this beer brewed up just for me. I think it’s the best I ever tasted. And I’ve tasted a lot. I think you’ll like it, too.’
- The first ever Great American Beer Festival was held in Colorado in 1981. 40 years later, it is America’s oldest and largest beer tasting and competition.
- In 2000, there were about 1560 breweries (of all types) in the US. By 2020? That number swelled to over 8880!
- Beer and nuts? There are scientific reasons we like to snack on nuts while enjoying a cold one! Hops, used to brew many beers, are quite bitter. What helps counteract that bitterness? Sodium chloride, also known as table salt. That double IPA will take much better when chased with a handful of roasted, salted peanuts!
On that note, grab some of our favorite snacks and nuts to pair with beer, and head to your neighborhood brewery!
Five Star Nut Mix