We got the chance to hear about global snack and flavor trends from Kara Nielsen, food and beverage trend expert at Innova Market Insights at last month’s Sweets & Snacks Expo. Here are some of the highlights:
- Global trends are coming from real food items and then transitioning into snacks.
- Regional flavors especially are moving into snacks (ie: “Canada Poutine Lays Chips”)
- Nuts, spices and seeds are growing in new product launches.
- Chili flavors are on the rise in sweets.
- Rooting nuts in specific origins and regions is becoming increasingly popular.
- Indian and Italian flavors are on the rise.
- Sage is a big spice trend, especially in the lozenge/cough drop space.
- Asian street food flavors are transitioning to snacks.
- Unique flavors linked with travel destinations are popping up in snacks.
- Umami-rich seaweed snacks continue in popularity.
- Consider the moments that align to consumers throughout the day and what kinds of snacks they are looking for.
- Morning: sustenance, energy
- Lunch: energy, protein
- Late night: indulgence, dessert
- Coffee flavored snacks are gaining traction.
- Granola cups are hot right now.
- We’re seeing a lot of sweet bakery flavors for candy.
Click here and here to read more about trends from the show.